The Academy Awards have announced their Oscar nominations for the 2021 ceremony. And, the 93rd Academy Awards will take place on 26 April 2021.
To conclude those nominated, the list includes Carey Mulligan in Promising Young Woman, Sacha Baron-Cohen in The Trial of the Chicago 7, and Sir Anthony Hopkins for The Father. Additionally, they were nominated alongside previous winners Olivia Colman, Frances McDormand, and the late Chadwick Boseman.
Above all, two women, Chloé Zhao and Emerald Fennell have been nominated in the Best Director category. That is to say, this is significant as this is the first this has happened in its 93 years. Moreover, the only woman who has won an Oscar in this category was Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker in 2009.
- The Father
- Judas and the Black Messiah
- Promising Young Woman
- Sound of Metal
- The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Thomas Vinterburg – Another Round
- David Fincher – Mank
- Lee Isaac Chung – Minari
- Chloé Zhao – Nomadland
- Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman
Best Leading Male Role
- Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal
- Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- Anthony Hopkins – The Father
- Gary Oldman – Mank
- Steven Yeun – Minari
Best Leading Female Role
- Viola Davis – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- Andra Day – The United States vs. Billie Holiday
- Vanessa Kirby – Pieces of a Woman
- Frances McDormand – Nomadland
- Carey Mulligan – Promising Young Woman
Best Supporting Male Role
- Sacha Baron Cohen – The Trial of the Chicago 7
- Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah
- Leslie Odom Jr. – One Night in Miami
- Paul Raci – Sound of Metal
- Lakeith Stanfield – Judas and the Black Messiah
Best Supporting Female Role
- Maria Baklova – Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
- Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy
- Olivia Colman – The Father
- Amanda Seyfried – Mank
- Yuh-Jung Youn – Minari
British Representation at the Oscars and In Memorium
Further, with such a diverse range of nominations, the Oscar nomination 2021 list shows just how great the British film industry is at producing exceptional talent. For example, British talent sees eight nominations alone for its actors. While it is expected that Mulligan will win for her role in the feminist thriller Promising Young Woman, it is interesting how this British actress was denied a nomination from the British Film Awards.
Olivia Colman will also be looking to secure her second win at the Oscars after her Leading Role win for The Favourite in 2019. Consequently, Gary Oldman last won in 2018 with Darkest Hour as his portrayal of Britain’s wartime leader, Winston Churchill, while Sir Anthony Hopkins last won an Oscar in 1991 with his chilling performance as Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs. Hopkins was most recently nominated for The Two Popes, losing to Brad Pitt in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.
Finally, Chadwick Boseman is nominated posthumously for his performance in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom. Boseman’s wife accepted an award on his behalf at the 2021 Golden Globes and is expected to do so again at the 2021 Oscars. Moreover, this would be the second time an actor had won an award posthumously, after Peter Finch for Network in 1976.